Saturday, June 18, 2011

We're almost there!!

Last Friday Brandon and I pretty much spent the whole day at the Dr. office and then we had our one on one interviews for our adoption. It was great! We found out that we are SO CLOSE. We have to wait for our background check to come back and then we are pretty much ready to publish! When I say "publish" that means that LDS Family Services posts our profile for all the birth mothers around the country to look at and hopefully say...." I WANT THEM TO BE THE PARENTS!"

It's weird to think that we can go from not even being pregnant to being able to have a baby and become parents over night! We are a little nervous but we know that is what Heavenly Father wants us to do and has sent us so many confirmations.

So at our interview she said that they have a new requirement for you to have "somewhere for the baby to sleep." It could be a pack n' play or a crib but you have to have that before they can place you and you have to have a car seat. That was told to us on Friday. Saturday morning our bishop texts us and says, " we have a crib and a car seat in our garage, do you guys want it?" SERIOUSLY! So on Monday for FHE Brandon and I put the crib together and then took it up stairs to put in the nursery...but it wouldn't fit through the door. So it is in the hallway...all ready for a baby! haha. The next step is sheets, bumper pads, all that good nursery stuff! We are still going to register for a car seat because we do want to have two since I will be working for a little while after placement and it will just make it easier if we each have one for our car. But we are so blessed and so excited.

It's crazy to think that our baby could be in someone's tummy RIGHT NOW! Just waiting for us!

OKAY...now here is a question for you....what are some of your "must haves" as far as things for babies/mom's of newborns AND What is your BEST PARENTING ADVICE?

Can't wait to see what you say!

7 comments:

  1. Wow Megan, that is WILD that you could have a baby so soon! So exciting. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and can't wait to hear the good news :) Everyone is going to tell you something different as far as necessities and advice, so you don't have to take mine. But a huge difference for me between Jade and the twins was that I had Jade sleep with me for like the first 6 months, but I put the twins in their crib right away. The boys are great sleepers, Jade was a terrible sleeper until she was like 2, so if I have another one someday they will go right into their own room from the start. I also have kept them on a schedule from the beginning whereas Jade just made her own schedule. We put the boys to bed everynight at the same time. Anyway, you will do awesome no matter what! And I think you will take your baby for granted a lot less than someone who didn't have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Whitney on the sleeping and schedule thing. The best advice someone gave me was to "start how I wanted to continue" (I think she worded it better than me but hopefully you know what I mean). I've applied that advice to everything from sleeping to schedules to FHE to family scripture study. It may seem like it might not matter to a baby, but babies generally do better with a structured day (within reason of course). But I guess the most important thing is to constantly show your love for him/her and to turn to your Heavenly Father with any question/concern you may have. You guys are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bumbo chair, it's a must have. Our little Parker is only 2.5 months and I've been sitting him in it for a month now. Just here and there, but mostly while I'm cooking lunch or dinner. And I know every nursery pic you ever see is decked out with tons of junk in the crib (bumper, quilt, etc.) But the pediatrician will tell you to take it out of the crib anyway AND... the one time I got one all put together our #2 just smashed it. And they never fit your crib the way you want either. But it's up to you.

    Congratulations! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice of you to ask but I'm sure you'll find out soon that people are going to shove their parenting advice in your face constantly after you bring your little one home. It's SO annoying. But since you asked, here ya go:

    Let me just say I've heard the same thing about the crib decor - especially the bumpers. One mom told me I'd basically guarantee my kid a SIDs death if I had a bumper in the crib. Dramatic, yes, but she freaked me out so I took it off. After waking up like 6 nights in a row NOT because Lilly wanted to wake up (she's a champ sleeper) but because she had wedged her legs in the crib panels, I popped that sucker back on. Guess what? She's still alive!

    Also, here is some stuff that worked for me: get a feeding pillow (those horse shaped looking things) they will SAVE your back during those constant feeds. If you're bottle feeding get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Powdered-Formula-Dispenser-Multiple/dp/B000067PIZ Actually, get a couple. It's MUST, MUST, MUST!!! I got them at Walmart for like $5 each and use them daily. That way you're not carrying around a ton of formula with you everywhere you go or having to measure it every time your baby eats. I also use them to pre-measure bottles and formula before bed every night. That way it's not 3 am and I'm trying to carefully measure the amount of water or powder to put in the bottles. If you're on the go a lot it's a good idea to keep your baby's bottle at room temp instead of heating it up like some do. This way when you're out and about you can make the bottle with room temp water and your baby won't reject it leaving you scrambling to find a way to heat it. Less work for mommy and just as healthy as a warm bottle for baby. (No cold water though - it upsets their delicate tummies!)

    OK I have so much I could blather on for hours but we'll chat another time.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you guys! You'll be amazing parents! I have a lot of must have's, but top are
    1. burp rags, and not the tiny ones they sale at the store, get some cloth diapers and use them as rags, they work amazing!
    2. calmoseptinem it's an ointment and it numbs the area it's applied to and cures EVERY diaper rash possible, it's amazing stuff!
    3. Bumbo with tray! It helps tremendously with learning to sit up and is great for snack time and such :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEA!!!! How great!!!!! I think the best thing you can have is a good camera. Babies change and grow so much...so much faster then you think possible. Capture as much as you can!!!

    ReplyDelete