So when all of the other adoption couples that we have met warned us about the paperwork I thought that they were just exaggerating. WOW was I wrong! I honestly had the expectation that I would go online, fill out my paperwork in a couple of hours and then just wait to be approved. I knew we had to get some certifications and so I thought that is what would take so long, but no. It's all the forms and documents that you have to fill out.
Just as an example of the crazy-ness that is adoption paperwork here is an example.... we had to fill out a "profile" of sorts for each of our siblings. You had to enter their, name, age, address, highest level of education, career, physical attributes, and talents/hobbies. You are probably thinking..."oh, that isn't so bad." But you forget (or maybe you don't know) that Brandon and I each have 8 SIBLINGS! So that means we have to do that for 16 other people...not counting our parents...so we are up to 20!
I know, I know...I should stop complaining because we are going to get placed with a beautiful baby because of all this paperwork.....BUT SERIOUSLY?!
We also found out that we have to baby proof our entire house which is a little odd to me. I even double checked and said "we are getting a new born right?....we aren't getting a toddle that can walk and put their finger into sockets and get into the toilet, right?" So here are the some of the things that we have to baby proof before we can get our home study approved.
Are there safety covers on all electrical outlets?
Is tap water 120 degrees Fahrenheit or less?
Are radiators, pipes, fireplaces, wood burning stoves and other hot surfaces covered to prevent children
from being burned?
Are safety covers on any fans small enough to keep small fingers out?
Do all drawers and cabinets with dangerous/poisonous items have childproof safety latches?
Are windows secured so they cannot be opened more than six inches?
Is the child care setting free of lead, toxic or peeling paint?
If door can be locked from inside, is the bolt either taped open, removed, or a key placed outside the
room?
If you use a toy chest, have you removed the lid or installed air holes and a slow-closing latch?
Is the provider aware of the need to wash their hands before handling food, after each visit to the
bathroom or after changing a child’s diaper?
Are hallways and stairs free of objects that could cause a fall?
Is there a gate on stairways?
Does the gate have small enough openings to prevent a child’s head from getting stuck?
Are knives, other sharp objects and dangerous appliances kept out of children’s reach?
Are pot handles always turned toward the back of the stove?
Are cleaning materials and other toxic supplies kept in a secure place out of the reach of children?
Is trash stored away from food preparation and storage areas?
Are all medicines kept out of the reach of children in cabinets with childproof latches? (meaning we have to have a lock and key on the door)
Are toilet seats kept down? (locked)
Are electrical equipment, hair dryers, shavers, curling irons, etc. kept away from water and out of the
reach of children?
That is just the first page...there is more. I know that this a good thing and for the safety of the children, but I don't know very many parents that are this "child safe."
I guess the plus side is that other women get fat and have to worry about losing baby weight....I just have to make sure my house is safe and fill out a boat load of paperwork....
Have a HAPPY EASTER!
First, love the new layout of the page, VERY cute!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I laughed through all of the things you have to 'baby proof'! I know I shouldn't, but that's funny! This will all be a blur once you hold your little one in your arms. And, you can always undo everything afterwards. There is nothing like trying to open the toilet lid when you really need to go! Good luck!
I laughed reading this too. But it was a "I remember being where you are and thinking this is all so insane" laugh. It's ludacris right? Blame the State of California. Since you're technically in "foster care status" for a couple weeks you have to meet State of Ca foster care standards. It's ridiculous because by the time any of the baby proofing is necessary you'll (likely) be long out of foster care status. Ours only last 2 weeks (the first two weeks Lilly was born). Yeah those light socket covers were a real necessity during that time - NOT!
ReplyDeleteAnywho, the most time consuming/difficult part was putting those annoying locks on your cabinets. It’s so much harder than it sounds! And we had 20 drawers/cabinets to do! We ended up hiring this guy to come out and do it for us (for a good price). I’m SO GLAD we did because it took a huge load off my plate AND the locks he used can be “turned off”. Meaning you give them a little twist and they are still on there but the drawers/cabinets open like regular until you twist them back and they are in “lock mode” again. So you’re in compliance but not having to deal with the actual locks every time you need a spoon for the next year. They’re seriously the best ever, I highly recommend them! If you’re interested I have his number. I plan on having him come out and do our new place when we move.
Our caseworker let us just tell her what we would do when it became necessary to babyproof our house since we didn't have kids yet. That was six years ago, so maybe their rules have changed, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on starting the process! Let me know if you have any questions or anything!!