Part of me wants to throw this back in the face of every person that ever said anything to us about having kids. People that put pressure or tried to make us feel like we are less than or not righteous enough and that is why Heavenly Father is not trusting us with his children. People have called us liars and every Sunday we would get asked the million dollar question, "Five years is a long time with no kids, when are you guys going to start your family?" We asked ourselves the same question. I began to believe that I wasn't righteous enough and that obviously Heavenly Father just didn't trust me enough or think that I was ready to be a mom. Then we started to feel like the more prepared we were temporally then, just maybe, Heavenly Father would see that we were ready and that we were doing all that we could. I realize now that nothing we could do would have done any good and that it's time to forgive and to move on.
It reminds me of the story in the New Testament where Christ and His Apostles see a blind man who had been blind from birth and the Apostles ask him what did his parents do or what sin did he commit that made him blind from birth. Christ replies, "Neither has this man sinned, nor his parents:but that the works of God should be made manifest in him." I have realized that those people are not right. God isn't punishing us or telling us that we are sinners and not worthy, He is giving us the opportunity to see His work in our life.

As we look back on the last couple of years we see how He has started to prepare us for this. In our blessing that we got from our Bishop about a month ago he blessed each of us to be open to starting our family in alternative ways. When we left Brandon looked at me and said, "I think we should start the adoption process." I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready to give up, but I realize now that it isn't giving up. It isn't taking second best. I am realizing more and more that eternally families do not come from the blood that is in you, they come from the love that we have and the way that we show that love.I know that my Heavenly Father knows who we are and that He is aware of our situation. That He knows the pain that we feel in our hearts and that He sent His Son to descend below all so that we might not be alone in this struggle. We know that He has a better plan for us and that we now have the opportunity to see His works in our life through the adoption process. We have many new experiences coming our way and many more opportunities to see the hand of a loving Father in Heaven in our lives. I am so glad that I have Brandon as my husband to be able to stand beside me in this trial. That he is a man of such great faith and that he is so understanding and kind. He is my best friend.

Megan, I am sorry that so many have made you feel so badly about your trial. This is so well written. You will be a great mother! Our trials are not because we are unrighteous or unworthy but because we must go through the refiners fire to return to live with him again. I'm sorry this is your trial but I know Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us! I'm sure you will be able to welcome beautiful children into your home that will complete your forever family! Hang in there! :) Lots of love, Lacey
ReplyDeleteMegan, thanks for sharing this. It's a really tough journey to be on. Stuart and I have been in a lot of similar situations in terms of why we don't have kids and the feelings you mentioned are again all too familiar. We don't know if we can or can't have kids yet. It's a dark place to be with those feelings of rejection, disappointment and failure BUT if there's anything I do know it's that you and Brandon are going to be two of the best parents in the world! Absolutely any child is going to be SO blessed to be yours - hell, even your friends are blessed to be a part of your lives! You two are amazing and I'm really excited for you both.
ReplyDeleteI love you! Good luck. It will work out and you will be THE BEST mother. Some little children are going to be very lucky.
ReplyDeleteYou're going to be awesome parents when that first little one comes through your door. That child is going to feel so loved by his/her new parents. You will be a great mother, and Brandon a great father. We love you both, and we are very excited for you.
ReplyDeleteThis is so inspiring Megan. You are an amazing person and such a great example to others. I am so sorry for both of you. I admire your great attitudes, and I know Heavenly Father has a beautiful plan for you. I am excited to see how it all unfolds! Life just got a whole lot better for some soon-to-be Hebdon's out there!
ReplyDeleteMegan, I loved reading this. I am very excited for you both!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to leave a comment, but feel at a loss for words. I read the previous comments and felt something pretty special as Kristen said "Life just got a whole lot better for some soon-to-be Hebdon's out there!"
ReplyDeleteThe Lord is my strength!!!!! He is always there for us.
Megan, all I can say is, I think you're amazing, and your grace & fortitude are going to ROCK your family. I'm just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteYou are great! My thoughts are with you trough this difficult but exciting time. There are so many people who could have given up, etc. But you have so much faith! I oove you and appreciate you for that.
ReplyDeleteTears and hugs from Idaho! How can something suck and be so wonderful at the same time? But I so get it. Thank you for being able to write your feelings so candidly and for shedding some light on the blind man in the scriptures. I hadn't made that connection before, but it calms my soul to know that truth.
ReplyDeletemore hugs and love from Idaho. We know the Lord will bless you as you go forward with faith in His plan. When one door closes another one always opens and it is better than we could have imagined. We have seen it with Dallin too even though he is still in pain a good part of the day his spirits are high and he is a blessing in the lives of other people. You will be a blessing to the children you adopt and you will be amazed at how much they are like you. Maybe not so much in looks, though I have seen that as well, but in your personality. We will love them and we will be the best great aunt and uncle we can be. The door is always open. Be steadfast and immovable. Love from the Larson Family
ReplyDeleteWell said you guys! Here's to your new path :) May it be a most joyous and amazing adventure!!
ReplyDeleteMegan, I admire your strength and optimism. You guys will be great parents, I am sure. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I can relate to some of it--it took us a while to figure out what was "wrong" with us, too, and while we were able to have our baby, I feel for you, especially in the areas of wondering if you're personally worthy enough, or ready enough, or if you just need to get better at this or that and then it will work out. I love how you put it into words and I pray that things will work out for you guys to adopt. How exciting to take that next step! :) Good luck! We're thinking of you! (P.S. Hope your YW calling is going awesome! I'm sure you are such a benefit to their lives.)
ReplyDelete