So here I am at 3:56 in the morning, with my mind racing,
and the only thing that I can think to help it stop, is to write.
I think about my sister a lot. Sam, she was a fantastic
dreamer. She had this dream where she was going to move to Montana, in the wide
open, and buy a ranch. At this ranch she wanted to teach her boys how to work,
but she also wanted to bring as many boys in foster care as she could, who were
older and overlooked, and love them. To help them become successful adults, and
to feel loved, despite their past.
One of her latest dreams she told me about was moving to Alaska, to live
in a dry cabin – so that her boys would learn what it means to live without
modern conveniences and to bring them closer as a family through hard work and
play. Her poor boys were going to have it rough haha, but it was all because
she wanted to teach them and she wanted them to have amazing experiences that
most people never would. These are not my dreams – and never, ever sounded like
something I would enjoy for more than a couple days- but I loved her for being
a dreamer. She had dreams for all
aspects of her life – but mostly about her family.
She was also the leading actress in her life. She had a way of telling you about her
accomplishments without bragging – because she was proud of herself – and she
was happy to be setting an example for her boys. She wanted to teach them to be
in control of their lives, to not live on the sidelines, waiting for life to
happen to them. If she wanted to do something she was going to achieve it.
I don’t write this so that everyone would see how amazing
she was (still is), but because I know that if I could, I would be calling her
to ask her advice – so pondering on her life and what she did and believed is
my way of calling her now that she has passed on. She was amazing – not perfect
– but amazing.
She died too young. Her life was too short. She had so much
more to do. It has made me realize that life does have a timer – and that time
is not infinite – that eventually time will run out for each of us. Whether we
are young like my sister or old like my grandma who is in her 90’s and probably
has a few good years left in her yet.
My sister didn’t get to accomplish all her dreams, but she
was working towards them. She didn’t let fear stop her from dreaming.
When I worked I had big dreams – I was going to become a
City Manager one day and I was going to get my Masters in Business from a great
school and after becoming a City Manager and running a huge city, I was going
to transition into business and running a corporation or sit on some board,
somewhere, doing something.
But now, when I think about it, and honest with myself, I am
scared to dream. I don’t know if I want to work in government anymore, I don’t
know if I want to get my MBA or if there would be a point to it, I feel like I
am starting over. Square one. Develop dreams- but I have too much fear - and
what, as a mom, in my new role, should I be dreaming? What is the line where you go from dreaming and achieving
goals – to being selfish and putting your own desires in the way of your
family? What is that balance? Is it fair for me to go get an MBA and ask
Brandon to work off my student loans while I stay home and raise kids? I do
know that staying home while my children are young is super important to me. I
don’t want to give that up – as hard as it is for me at times. I know with all
my heart, that that is what I am supposed to be doing right now. That doing
this will make me a better person, the person that God is helping me to be.
One thing I know for sure – it’s important to dream. I have
the desire to dream. To make plans and set goals and achieve them. I want
Turner to know that he can do anything if he sets his mind to it (I know, so
cliché) but how can I teach him that – if I am sitting on the sidelines? If I
am the supporting actress, the cheerleader for others, but never for myself?
So I started making mental lists of things I maybe want to
do. I am going to date my different dreams for a little bit, to see if they are
really a good fit. To see if it is something I actually want to do – and not
just doing it because I have felt like that is what is expected of me, or is
what others think I should be doing.
What are your dreams? (I ask out of a place of non-judgment
and love, and I really do want to know) What makes you feel alive?
I'm an absolute dreamer. Always have been.
ReplyDeleteI completely support and encourage this.