I am naming this summer the "Summer of Canning" because for the last couple of weeks that is what we have been doing!
You may remember our Salsa post (scroll down two or three posts and you will see it) but that was just the beginning of our canning extravaganza. It all started with a sister from my ward posting about pears. She had a 40lb box of pears for $28 bucks! You can't beat that so I jumped on it. We picked up the pears and they were still green so we had to wait until they yellowed. While we were waiting, and so excited to can, we decided to get peaches too!
We have this great farm stand near our house that had peaches on sale for 79 cents per pound. So I think we ended up with 30lbs of peaches and then someone from our ward brought us some juicy peaches from their tree too. We made peach preserves (meant to be jam...but for some reason it didn't set...so we have preserves....still delicious) and we canned peach slices in syrup. We also had nectarines so we canned those in a syrup as well.
After all of our peaches and nectarines were finished we had one night off and then the pears HAD to be done. If we didn't can them they would have gone bad. Let me tell you....these were the best pears I have EVER had. They are juicy and sweet and perfect! So we canned 21, 1 1/2 Pint jars of Pears in syrup. They look gorgeous in the bottles. We were going to do quart size but all they had were the small mouth jars and we like the wide mouth so Brandon found these awesome Ball jars that are 1 1/2 pints and I absolutely LOVE them! They seriously look awesome and I can't wait to can more!
I have found my passion in life....Canning! Now I just need to be able to make some money doing it!
We did peaches too - and it is one of our favorite things - looking into the pantry full of jars of home bottled fruits and veggies is an awesome sight.
ReplyDeleteWe still need to find pears, but we aren't too late yet.
Those 1 1/2 pint jars sound awesome! I'm going to have to see them.
Love ya!
I've been canning all summer too! I wish we lived closer and I would trade you green beans, jam, and frozen sweet corn for your pears and peaches!
ReplyDelete