Thursday, August 16, 2012

National Embryo Donation Center

Brandon and I are working with the National Embryo Donation Center (NEDC) in Tennessee for our Embryo Adoption. We are really really excited. So what does that mean?

The NEDC is pretty much, from what I have found and read, the number one clinic in the US for Embryo Adoption because they have a lot of people donating to their clinic. When I called and asked what they wait time was...the lady goes "what wait time?" That is what we like to hear! We first had to submit an online application and then we wait for them to send us all the paperwork (she said she would send it out to me today so it will probably be here in a couple of days) and we fill out all of their paperwork. They said it is much like the adoption paperwork that we have already filled out so that should be pretty easy. The next step is to get our home study (not all clinics make you do this but this is why the NEDC has so many embryos because people feel good about placing their embryos with them). The great thing is that we can use the home study that we already have! So that is saving us mega time. She (the NEDC rep) was surprised when I said that we were all ready to go and that I was just waiting on her paperwork because she said most people thought the list of things to do was daunting. I let her know that if she had gone through the adoption process like we had....this would be a walk in the park. I mean four documents? That's it? Bring it on!

The longest wait time is to actually get our medical appointment in Tennessee. We have to make two trips to TN. The first one is for the medical work up to make sure that my body (meg) can actually handle all the drugs and possibly carrying a child. The second trip is for the actual implant. I asked NEDC what a realistic timeline is for us to do all of that and she said that they are booking for November right now. So it will most likely be November or December with the implant being in January or February. SO EXCITING! I know that might sound like a long time away to some but I am sure that it will fly by....I am praying that it flys by (you should pray for that too :) )

I am actually excited about the trips to TN. We are going to try to make mini vacations out of them.

The most awesome part of all of this is the NEDC lady goes "I do need to warn you about a possible risk...." (me) "Okay what is that?...." (NEDC) Well, because you are so young your chance of having multiples increases..... (me) AWESOME! Bring it on! We have seriously waited for an opportunity like this for so long, so if multiples is our biggest risk then that is AWESOME!

I think she was a little surprised by my response..... and I know most of you are thinking "yea right, multiples will not be awesome" but we think if that happened it would totally rock. It's all what we make it right?!



3 comments:

  1. YAY! This is exciting news. And I'm on your side, I hope you do have multiples :) Its hard work but I think you're totally ready. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wow! Wow! That is SO cool! I'm SUPER excited to hear about your journey throughout all of this. I think your story could seriously be an inspiration to so many people. Maybe some hopeful adoptive couples have never thought about something like this as an option but after hearing how you guys do things they may be more willing to see if that's the right path for them. I'm so glad you're leaving your blog public. I know there are others who will benefit from your energy and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news all around so excited for u guys.

    ReplyDelete